Because we've been working almost exclusively with associations, trade groups and nonprofits since 2005, we've been able to see behind-the-scenes of hundreds of different organizations, gaining valuable insight into what works and what simply doesn't.
On this page, we've provided a few highlights from our experience.
Affordable Assisted Living Coalition
Our work with AALC began with creation of their first logo, membership application, and website back in 2005, but has grown into full operational support for their Executive Director and board, including:
* annual facilitation of strategic planning;
* coordinating all member communications;
* transitioning paper processes to electronic systems;
* coordinating their annual Conference and other events;
* production of the Annual Report;
* handling member invoicing and non-dues revenue.
“Joy Duling and her team have been a vital resource for Affordable Assisted Living Coalition since we began in 2006.
With Joy's help, AALC has grown and developed and is able to operate without a large staff. Joy works tirelessly on our behalf, is very responsive and has helped solve any issues we encounter from our logo, website, membership, bookkeeping and even strategic planning.
I'm not sure we would exist without her capable help. I know we wouldn't be as functional.”
Illinois Association of Medicaid Health Plans
Each year, we support the hard-working executive team at IAMHP as they work on behalf of members. Our role has included:
* managing member and non-member communications;
* setting up and maintaining the association's website;
* scheduling meetings;
* compiling report and materials for board packets and committee meetings;
* making recommendations for software and systems to help the association meet goals.
“Joy and her team are professional, efficient and talented. Whether they are organizing events, coordinating meetings, formatting documents or managing my schedule, I have the utmost confidence in their abilities.
They have given me back much more than an extra hour in my day; they have given me my work-life balance back.
If you are looking for a little or even a lot of extra assistance, I simply cannot recommend Joy and her team enough.
It is one of the best decisions I have made as a trade association executive director.”
Communities of Illinois Health Information Exchange
This ten-year engagement began with simply the writing of a planning grant. After successfully winning the funds, support was expanded to include Joy serving as Executive Director and leading the organization to significant wins, including:
* successfully engaging more than 200 people from competing organizations in planning groups;
* becoming the first health information exchange to go live in the State of Illinois and the first one to attain financial viability;
* increasing revenue from seed capital to $1.3 million in annual revenue exclusively from membership contributions;
* securing progressively larger grants to fund special projects ($349,000 in 2013; $363,000 in 2015; and $2.1 million in 2016);
* became one of the first HIE's in the country to include long-term care providers;
* Spoke nationally on CIHIE's experience and rapid achievement of milestones that took other organizations much longer to accomplish.
Illinois Rural Health Association
This long-standing client has relied on our team to create strategies and processes to help achieve goals, including such needs as.
* setting up their member management website;
* creating applications for their annual scholarship awards;
* processing payments for events and membership dues.
“Joy has been a godsend. She sets up not only your website but a complete system for running your associations' member database and renewals, event registrations and communication tools for members.“
Women Leaders Association
Our unique shared staffing model allowed The WLA to get the help they needed when they weren't yet prepared to hire their own employees. Our team was able to help with numerous aspects of running the association, including:
* setting up and maintaining their website;
* producing their monthly magazine;
* scheduling and supporting the organization's monthly webinar series;
* producing flyers and other graphics needed for live events.
“Joy has created a membership website for my association in less than two weeks!
The quality of what she has done is hands down the best support I've ever received. She has helped me think through offers and levels; helped me with branding; provided a wealth of ideas I never would have considered.
I now have systems and processes in place!!! It's all the more brilliant because I've got a Conference on Tuesday that I've organised and now every piece of administration has been thought through.
I cannot recommend Joy highly enough.”
Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement
Joy was hired by the organization to serve as its Vice President & Director of Special Projects, responsible for planning and execution of multi-state collaborative projects focused on healthcare quality improvement.
* managed communication and marketing activities across NRHI members;
* facilitated educational webinars and live member events to further organizational priorities.
Illinois Behavioral Health Association
Over the years, support for IBHA has ranged from funding research and writing to facilitating the organization's strategic planning efforts as they embarked on significant organizational change, including changing their name and the focus of their work.
Quality Quest for Health of Illinois
As a membership-funded nonprofit focused on building collaboration to solve healthcare problems, Quality Quest represented all of the things that out team loves about working in the membership industry.
* facilitating strategic planning sessions for the Board;
* conceptualizing funding proposals and preparing pitches;
* handling set-up of the organization's approach when it was selected as the Central Region Office for the Illinois Health Information Technology Regional Extension Center;
* hiring staff and managing attainment of goals under the ILHITREC funding;
* coordinating the planning that ultimately led to creation of the Communities of Illinois Health Information Exchange;
* managed the spin-off of CIHIE into being an independent nonprofit organization.
Chicago Area Business Aviation Association
Sometimes, organizations just need help with a single short-term project.
CABAA is just one example from the dozens of organizations that we've supported as they've modernized to a new software platform.
We implemented a three-part process to make the migration as hassle-free as possible, while empowering the organization's designees to learn and maintain the software without having the ongoing expense of needing to go through a tech company every time they need something changed.
“We chose to get help with our migration to Wild Apricot so that we could become more organized and standardized with our association’s operations. We wanted to have a professional looking site and to save time building it.
Joy Duling is one of the hardest working, honest, and best communicators I have ever met. Her three step “Planning, Design & Coached Set Up” options were a perfect fit for us. Joy took care of the trickiest and most complex part of our migration from our old systems and then coached us through the rest of the set up.
Her response time is always quick and concise, never leaving you wonder what your next steps should be. She always gets you an honest answer or directs you to the answers you need, with no excuses.
We immediately saw results from the effort. New members started signing up and editing their profiles with no assistance before we even announced the site!
The Joy of Membership team is a true “Joy” to work with. We will be using their services for the foreseeable future.”
Cochlear Implant Awareness Foundation
While not a membership-based organization, we mention CIAF because Joy loved being part of their start-up story. Helping the founder flesh out the concept for this nonprofit is an example of the kind of one-on-one strategic planning work that is possible. Three months after we began working together, CIAF won Microsoft's Start Something Amazing Award, which instantly brought a spotlight on the work and growth potential.
“Often when I have hired consultants, I have been left with meaningless stacks of paper and a myriad of theories that I have no idea how to execute. In the end, I feel more overwhelmed and exhausted than I did when I started.
My experience working with Joy Duling has been entirely different. Joy provides ‘hands-on' tactics that are easy to execute. But, best of all, you see results… and fast.”
Metropolitan Oasis Community Development Corporation
We began supporting MOCDC the first time they decided to hire outside help for their grant planning/writing process. We helped the organization frame the work that they do in a way that was results-oriented and attractive to the funders that they were wanting to attract.
Over the years, these efforts have resulted in multiple millions of dollars in funding for MOCDC's work, through both state and private funding.
“Hi, Joy, I have some awesome news…
WE WERE APPROVED FOR THE ADOLESCENT
SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAM………
I AM SO THRILLED…. THANK YOU SO
MUCH FOR YOUR WONDERFUL SKILLS… GOD BLESS YOU>>>>>>>”
The Movement Summit (Host)
Joy conceptualized and hosted The Movement Summit, a week-long online event attended by 800+ leaders of membership-based organizations.
Wild Apricot / Personify (Speaker)
Joy has been a featured speaker for several Wild Apricot and Personify Events focused on membership engagement and growth.
“Joy is one of the best presenters I’ve ever had the opportunity to work with.
We’ve run monthly expert webinars for a few years, and Joy’s was among our highest rated with more than 96% of our audience of 250+ saying they learned something valuable that could help them accomplish their goals.
No wonder: Joy backed up every valuable point with proof, examples and stories that brought everything to life. I can’t wait to work with her again.”
“Joy provided a targeted, content-laden, teleseminar/interview for SpeakerNet News.
We’ve interviewed 500+ experts for our series, and she was one of top ones who provided high-value, relevant information useful to our listeners.
We appreciate her focused, concise answers to the questions, and her ability to flex with cogent answers to questions. We’d have her back!”
Want to explore if our team can help you meet your unique goals this year? Let's start with a quick call.