A growing membership feels amazing… until the growing pains hit.
At some point, it becomes crystal clear that it's simply not possible to manage everything related to the membership yourself.
That's when you need an experienced team to back you up and to do all of the things that suck up time, but don't need your unique brilliance.
Since 2005, my team has been a behind-the-scenes, secret weapon for associations, trade groups and entrepreneurs who want to serve members effectively without hiring a bunch of staff that cut into profits.
What can we do to help?
Our role varies, depending on what each client needs.
Below are five real examples of clients (names have been changed for privacy) and specifically what was done to help them during a two-week period.
Susan has been a client since 2014. She single-handedly runs an extremely busy association, splitting her time between an office in her home and a hotel room in Springfield when the legislature is in session. Susan was struggling with how to put administrative assistance in place when she really didn't have any place to house a new staff person. She also only had the budget to hire one person and she was concerned that one person might not have all the skills that would be needed to adequately support the association's diverse needs. Working with a25hourday.com has been a terrific fit because it provides a team-based approach, giving her a depth and breadth of expertise that she'd be unlikely to find by direct hiring. Working virtually has also given her the freedom to maintain her travel schedule while administrative tasks like scheduling meetings and managing committee emails happen automatically.
Tasks for Susan:
- Met with Susan by phone to flesh out a plan for the Association's upcoming Annual Meeting. This was turned into a formal project plan which was monitored weekly until the event.
- Monitored a dedicated support email address for incoming communications from members. Responded as needed.
Formatted a fact sheet for Susan to use during an upcoming event.
- Sent out committee meeting confirmations and cancellations to the master distribution lists that our team maintains for the association. Made corresponding changes to Susan's online calendar.
- Contacted legislator offices from a list that Susan gave us to set up meetings for the two days that the association’s members will be in the State Capitol to lobby.
- Created a summary schedule for an upcoming event. Distributed that schedule to the client's Board of Directors.
Made and confirmed Susan's lodging and dinner meeting reservations.
- Compiled success stories from association members into a single Word document and saved the file to the association's shared folder.
- Compiled data sent in from a member poll to a single spreadsheet. Saved the spreadsheet to the association's shared folder.
- Listened in on a weekly recurring teleconference to capture key notes/assignments. Prepped summary for Susan.
- Formatted Board meeting agenda and distributed full packet prior to the meeting.
- Created an invitation for a client’s legislative reception. Made edits based on client feedback. Ordered invitations and had them shipped directly to the client’s headquarters.
- Researched proper format for a formal Board resolution. Modified a client’s content to fit that format so that it could be presented at an upcoming Board meeting.
- Responded to member questions about a client’s upcoming event.
Allen has been a client since 2005. Our work together began when his nonprofit was in start-up mode and involved creation of his initial branding – logo, letterhead and website. Over the years, Allen's organization has grown to the point that he utilizes our team as a complete back-office solution. Our virtual support model has worked beautifully for him for more than a decade. The reliable continuity of administrative assistance provided by our team has allowed Allen to focus his employee hiring on higher level program staff, instead of hiring and training administrative assistants.
Tasks for Allen:
- Made requested edits to organization's website
- Set up new customers in contact database.
- Monitored a dedicated support email address for incoming communications from customers. Responded as needed.
- Formatted email blasts to send to appropriate segments of his mailing list.
- Reviewed orders in the online shopping cart to confirm companies that had paid to sponsor an upcoming event. Provided Allen with a summary list.
- Created a summary report of all website orders, event registrations and membership renewals that had occurred during previous month for the organization's bookkeeper.
- Created a summary report of purchases occurring during the previous quarter for revenue sharing with a strategic alliance partner.
- Responded to an email from a customer about a product that arrived broken from the distributor. Made sure that the problem was resolved to the customer's satisfaction.
- A Springfield-based member of our team ran by the office twice weekly to check the in-basket and deposit payments that were sent in by mail instead of being made online via credit card.
- Another member of our team received a copy of all payments included in each deposit. She marked corresponding invoices and shopping cart orders as paid so that these records would stay in sync with the paper transactions received.
- Prepped and distributed invoices for customers who are in monthly or quarterly programs
- Sent outstanding invoice reminders
- Made updates to shopping cart to reflect accurate inventory levels
- Provided support to a customer who wanted to add additional items to her order. This involved setting up new coupon codes in the online shopping cart and communicating that code to the customer. She was then able to place a new order which we added to the previous one.
Megan's company has been supported by our team since 2009, starting with planning the membership program from scratch. Today, support is narrowly focused on systems for member attraction and for a special two-year project that involves a lot of data entry, invoicing and reporting.
Tasks for Megan:
- Monitored key sources for good articles/information to post to the company's social media sites.
- Made website updates.
- Added contact information to prospect marketing database. Researched correct office locations and added missing information (like zip codes).
- Distributed a Direct Mail marketing piece to the targeted list created above.
- Added contacts to the company's contact management system.
- Produced and sent monthly invoices.
Paul's association has been a client since 2008. He was initially referred for the set-up of a new association website and member portal. When comparing what was offered by our team to the proposals by website vendors, Paul felt that it was best to partner with a company that specialized in providing broader support specifically for associations. We occasionally make updates such as those listed here for only a small maintenance fee. Paul occasionally calls for help on issues the association is facing and we are happy to point him to resources that fit his problem.
Tasks for Paul:
- Updated the association's membership application and posted online.
- Updated the association's management system to reflect new contacts and staffing changes.
- Compiled research documents into a shared folder for easier access by an association work group.
Phil's association was referred by their lobbyist to our team to help them transition from paper-based invoicing to a less stressful online member management process. Our work together streamlined the process required to send hundreds of invoices each year and integrated credit card processing. While Phil was technologically savvy enough to maintain the system once it was in place, the initial transition was simply more than could be handled.
Tasks for Phil:
- Reviewed the association's current processes for handling membership sign-ups and renewals.
- Designed a beautiful new website for the association with a robust member management system built-in for member management and communication.
- Integrated credit card processing so that members could pay online and have those payments automatically recorded.
- Imported all current members and contact information.
- Trained the association's secretary/treasurer on how to use the new tools.
- Made a model available through which the association can offer the same technology to local chapters. This would not only serve to support modernization of the local chapters, but also provide an additional revenue stream for the association.
Barbara is an author and speaker who travels frequently and needs a team that can oversee her membership website and provide consistent customer support while she's on the road.
Tasks for Barbara:
- Monitored Facebook groups for questions and to support Barbara's brand messaging
- Created product photos
- Uploaded new books to her shopping cart
- Made digital products available for download
- Added relevant sales copy to website
- Posted sale prices for special promotions
- Proofread speaker sheets
- Updated head shots and product photos online
Want to find out if we can be of help to you? Simply schedule a call and we can chat about options.
Partial Client List
In addition to helping hundreds of individual membership builders through online courses and events, my team and I have provided consulting and administrative support to many for-profit and non-profit organizations. (Some served under original brand name – A 25 Hour Day, LLC.)
- Affordable Assisted Living Coalition
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts – Illinois Chapter
- Cass County Public Health Department
- Center for Thriving
- Central Illinois Health Information Exchange
- Cochlear Implant Awareness Foundation
- Crittenton Centers
- Eureka College
- Global Water Works
- Harmony Pack
- Heartland Community Health Center
- Her Way
- Heritage Enterprises
- IL Association of Estheticians
- IL Association of Medicaid Health Plans
- IL Assoc of Public Health Administrators
- IL Firefighters Association
- IL Rural Health Association
- IL Preschool Owners/Child Care Association
- IL Surgical Assistants Association
- Human Service Center
- IL Association for Behavioral Health
- Individual Differences, Inc
- I've Decided
- Jess McDonald & Associates
- Margaret Vaughn Consulting
- Metropolitan Oasis Community Development Corporation
- Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement
- NEXT Healthcare
- Quality Quest for Health of IL
- The JUMP Program
- The Penguin Project
- Tile Contractor's Association of America
- Turning Empathy Into Action
- UCP of IL
- University of IL College of Medicine at Peoria
- Women Leaders Association
“Joy has created a membership website for my association in less than two weeks!
The quality of what she has done is hands down the best support I've ever received. She has helped me think through offers and levels; helped me with branding; provided a wealth of ideas I never would have considered.
I now have systems and processes in place!!! It's all the more brilliant because I've got a Conference on Tuesday that I've organised and now every piece of administration has been thought through.
I cannot recommend Joy highly enough.”Sandra Green
“Often when I have hired consultants, I have been left with meaningless stacks of paper and a myriad of theories that I have no idea how to execute. In the end, I feel more overwhelmed and exhausted than I did when I started.
My experience working with Joy Duling has been entirely different. Joy provides ‘hands-on' tactics that are easy to execute. But, best of all, you see results… and fast.”Michelle Tjelmeland
“Joy Duling is the key to my business growing from an over glorified hobby to a business with professional goals. She has provided perspective that has opened my eyes to greater possibilities.
Uniquely they are not her ideas directly but studies me and my responses to bring out the best in me. A consulting genius.“Jeff McSweeney
“When it comes to planning business strategies for clients, Joy has a knack for bringing structure and focus to the table and inspiring her clients to grow beyond the expectations and truly maximize their potential.”
“Joy has an uncanny way of understanding her clients, what their needs are, and how to motivate them to move in the right direction in order to meet their goals. She offers a calm presence that takes the edge off of any “overwhelmed” business professional – no matter what business they are in. I highly recommend A 25 Hour Day with Joy Duling to anyone seeking the direction, focus and resources to move forward to acheive their goals.
Thank you, Joy, for everything that you have helped me with … my business, my clients and my success..”Sharon Hewitt
“Joy Duling and her team have been a vital resource for Affordable Assisted Living Coalition since we began in 2006.
With Joy's help, AALC has grown and developed and is able to operate without a large staff. Joy works tirelessly on our behalf, is very responsive and has helped solve any issues we encounter from our logo, website, membership, bookkeeping and even strategic planning.
I'm not sure we would exist without her capable help. I know we wouldn't be as functional.”Wayne Smallwood
“Joy, you ROCKED THE HOUSE! My audience loved you!
I highly recommend working with Joy Duling. She makes everything easy. She provided high-quality swipe copy and supporting materials and gave an outstanding live presentation that my audience loved.
And, our results were spectacular too. If your audience is interested in creating Membership sites, I highly suggest that you make Joy your go-to expert!”Tamara Monosoff
“Joy provided a targeted, content-laden, teleseminar/interview for SpeakerNet News.
We’ve interviewed 500+ experts for our series, and she was one of top ones who provided high-value, relevant information useful to our listeners.
We appreciate her focused, concise answers to the questions, and her ability to flex with cogent answers to questions. We’d have her back!”Rebecca Morgan, CSP, CMC
“How I wish I would have met Joy Duling 15 years ago when I went into business for myself.
You won't find anybody who is gentler and tougher all in one.
I'm an extreme right-brain creative person. My business matters have been left to chance for years. And as a result, I was going nowhere when I could have been celebrating many more business, professional and personal achievements.
I can only image how far along I'd be if our paths had crossed sooner.
Working with Joy has been one of the best investments I've ever made in myself.”Monica Vest Wheeler
“Joy and her team are professional, efficient and talented. Whether they are organizing events, coordinating meetings, formatting documents or managing my schedule, I have the utmost confidence in their abilities.
They have given me back much more than an extra hour in my day; they have given me my work-life balance back.
If you are looking for a little or even a lot of extra assistance, I simply cannot recommend Joy and her team enough.
It is one of the best decisions I have made as a trade association executive director.”Samantha Olds Frey
“Hi, Joy, I have some awesome news…
WE WERE APPROVED FOR THE ADOLESCENT
SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAM………
I AM SO THRILLED…. THANK YOU SO
MUCH FOR YOUR WONDERFUL SKILLS… GOD BLESS YOU>>>>>>>”
“I have never met an individual who possesses so many outstanding skills. Joy is personal, punctual, reliable, trustworthy and is able to take ideas from conceptualization to implementation. Joy is responsible in helping me grow my business by 734% over the past 4 years.
If you are serious about growing your business but need that extra push, fresh perspectives, and out of the box ideas…Joy is just the person you need to connect with..”Michelle Tjelmeland
“Joy is one of the best presenters I’ve ever had the opportunity to work with.
We’ve run monthly expert webinars for a few years, and Joy’s was among our highest rated with more than 96% of our audience of 250+ saying they learned something valuable that could help them accomplish their goals.
No wonder: Joy backed up every valuable point with proof, examples and stories that brought everything to life. I can’t wait to work with her again.”Donald Cowper
“Joy spoke on my Star Power Half Hour webinar show and gave a lively, information-packed session!
One attendee wrote in the chat box, “Wow! Amazing info and so well presented. Thank you!”
Joy has really delved deeply into the subject of membership sites and has lots of experience from working with her clients, so she brought great resources into her talk. It was very valuable for everyone.“Ellen Finkelstein