Membership is kind of an odd niche, I know.
I've built my entire business around helping clients sort out all the tricky little problems that come up as they run their membership programs.
Software gone wonky? I'm on it.
Extra hands for your conference? I've got 'em.
Members need to hear from you? Tell me what you want to say and it's done.
Dreading an upcoming project? Perhaps that's NOT what YOU should be spending your time on.
Before you start thinking I'm either super human (or a lying braggart), I definitely don't do all of these things myself.
I've spent more than a decade building a talented team around me – people who are naturally good at admin, tech, graphic design, copywriting and more.
They love supporting membership leaders as much as I do… so, when you're my client, my team becomes your team.
The truth is that I fell into this line of work quite by accident.
You could say I owe it all to my very first client way back in 2005. He hired me to design a logo, membership application and initial website for the association he was starting. (He's actually still a client today, so he's heard me give him credit many times.)
One referral led to another and one day, I looked around and realized my client base was almost entirely comprised of membership-based organizations – associations, trade groups, small businesses and nonprofits… but almost all of them had some sort of membership.
When that happens, you might as well embrace it, right?
So, I rebranded and retooled my business into the version that you see today.
My natural gifts that I'm happy to share with you:
- I see straight lines through a clutter of thoughts. That means you can do a big brain dump on me and together, we'll make sense of it.
- I'm good with techy stuff. Things like membership software, shopping carts, auto-responders, CRM's, and websites are typically a breeze for me. I have to remind myself that I have a team to do this stuff!
- With a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and a Master's in Social Work, I have actual training in ‘people skills'.
- I'm a fast implementer. When you have good ideas, I know how to get them done quickly and affordably.
- I'm relentless on solving problems. If your past attempts haven't fixed a challenge, we can pivot and try different angles to find a break-through.
II'm also a membership builder myself.
For the past nine years, I've served as the Executive Director for a membership-based organization that I led from just an idea around a conference room table… to a fully operational nonprofit with annual revenues of $1.1 million… all from membership contributions.
So, I know very personally what it's like to have to convince people to join, worry about whether members are getting value and anticipate whether they're going to renew or not.
I also know what it's like to have to make a plan for growth, lead a board and facilitate results.
While I'm not one to boast and compliments tend to make me blush, here are some words clients have used to describe our work together:
Vital Resource, Capable, Tireless, Professional, Efficient, Talented, Utmost Confidence, Practical, Fast Results, Best Support Ever, Brilliant, Wealth of Ideas, Extraordinary, Out-of-the-Box, Shining Professional, Easy to Work With, Uncanny Ability to Understand, Calm Presence, Takes the Edge Off of Overwhelm, Competent, Compassionate, Pushed Without Nagging, Exactly What I Was Looking For, Best Investment
If what you've read here resonates with you… if you'd like someone to help you navigate the challenges that you're currently facing in launching or running your membership, let's set up a time to chat. I can't wait to connect with you.
Things My Close Friends Know About Me (& Now You Do, Too)
1. I'm an early bird. You won't catch me burning the midnight oil, but I'd happily share a sunrise with you. I get some of my best ideas at 3 a.m.
2. I was a Psychology major in college and I have a Master's Degree in Social Work. Figuring people out is kind of my thing.
3. I'm married to my college sweetheart. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in 2017. It takes a lot of understanding to be the spouse of an entrepreneur, so I am immensely grateful that he didn't completely freak out when I left my steady government paycheck, benefits and retirement plan behind.
4. I tried one of those meditative coloring books. I got one page done… barely. I can't play board games. Yoga also drives me crazy. My brain is too busy thinking of the things I should be doing.
5. I greet every dog I see by saying, “Helloooo, baby!” in an annoyingly cute high-pitched squeal that embarrasses my husband.
6. I have 1 item that has remained on my desk since the day I started my business in 2005. It's a silver token with a 4-leaf clover on it that was given to me by a friend to wish me luck.
7. I love inspirational quotes. I have them displayed all over my home and I love to give gifts imprinted with the perfect quote that captures how I feel about someone.
8. My only daughter thinks the dog has replaced her. That's what she gets for going off to college eleven hours away.
9. My dog is pretty cool. Just sayin'. He makes the empty nest feel less empty. His name is Buckingham and he's an American Brittany. I adore him.
10. I was the oldest child. Over-achiever. Rule-follower. Standard-setter. That's me.
11. I try to be vegetarian and I try to be a runner. I say try because I'm not great at either, but I'm at least pointed in the right direction and that should count for something.
12. I like the idea of cooking, but I really don't do it. There should probably be a rule about the number of recipe books you can own if you have no intention of actually cooking.
13. I use made-up curse words. Equally effective. Less shock value.
14. Working online feels easier to me because I'm actually pretty shy. It's hard for me to walk into a room full of people and make conversation, but online feels less intimidating.
15. I feel incredibly blessed that I get to work with clients who inspire me and make me think.
They say if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. While I don't think that's exactly true, I would say if you love what you do, working hard will feel totally worth it.
“Joy has created a membership website for my association in less than two weeks!
The quality of what she has done is hands down the best support I've ever received. She has helped me think through offers and levels; helped me with branding; provided a wealth of ideas I never would have considered.
I now have systems and processes in place!!! It's all the more brilliant because I've got a Conference on Tuesday that I've organised and now every piece of administration has been thought through.
I cannot recommend Joy highly enough.”Sandra Green
“Often when I have hired consultants, I have been left with meaningless stacks of paper and a myriad of theories that I have no idea how to execute. In the end, I feel more overwhelmed and exhausted than I did when I started.
My experience working with Joy Duling has been entirely different. Joy provides ‘hands-on' tactics that are easy to execute. But, best of all, you see results… and fast.”Michelle Tjelmeland
“Joy Duling is the key to my business growing from an over glorified hobby to a business with professional goals. She has provided perspective that has opened my eyes to greater possibilities.
Uniquely they are not her ideas directly but studies me and my responses to bring out the best in me. A consulting genius.“Jeff McSweeney
“When it comes to planning business strategies for clients, Joy has a knack for bringing structure and focus to the table and inspiring her clients to grow beyond the expectations and truly maximize their potential.”
“Joy has an uncanny way of understanding her clients, what their needs are, and how to motivate them to move in the right direction in order to meet their goals. She offers a calm presence that takes the edge off of any “overwhelmed” business professional – no matter what business they are in. I highly recommend A 25 Hour Day with Joy Duling to anyone seeking the direction, focus and resources to move forward to acheive their goals.
Thank you, Joy, for everything that you have helped me with … my business, my clients and my success..”Sharon Hewitt
“Joy Duling and her team have been a vital resource for Affordable Assisted Living Coalition since we began in 2006.
With Joy's help, AALC has grown and developed and is able to operate without a large staff. Joy works tirelessly on our behalf, is very responsive and has helped solve any issues we encounter from our logo, website, membership, bookkeeping and even strategic planning.
I'm not sure we would exist without her capable help. I know we wouldn't be as functional.”Wayne Smallwood
“Joy, you ROCKED THE HOUSE! My audience loved you!
I highly recommend working with Joy Duling. She makes everything easy. She provided high-quality swipe copy and supporting materials and gave an outstanding live presentation that my audience loved.
And, our results were spectacular too. If your audience is interested in creating Membership sites, I highly suggest that you make Joy your go-to expert!”Tamara Monosoff
“Joy provided a targeted, content-laden, teleseminar/interview for SpeakerNet News.
We’ve interviewed 500+ experts for our series, and she was one of top ones who provided high-value, relevant information useful to our listeners.
We appreciate her focused, concise answers to the questions, and her ability to flex with cogent answers to questions. We’d have her back!”Rebecca Morgan, CSP, CMC
“How I wish I would have met Joy Duling 15 years ago when I went into business for myself.
You won't find anybody who is gentler and tougher all in one.
I'm an extreme right-brain creative person. My business matters have been left to chance for years. And as a result, I was going nowhere when I could have been celebrating many more business, professional and personal achievements.
I can only image how far along I'd be if our paths had crossed sooner.
Working with Joy has been one of the best investments I've ever made in myself.”Monica Vest Wheeler
“Joy and her team are professional, efficient and talented. Whether they are organizing events, coordinating meetings, formatting documents or managing my schedule, I have the utmost confidence in their abilities.
They have given me back much more than an extra hour in my day; they have given me my work-life balance back.
If you are looking for a little or even a lot of extra assistance, I simply cannot recommend Joy and her team enough.
It is one of the best decisions I have made as a trade association executive director.”Samantha Olds Frey
“Hi, Joy, I have some awesome news…
WE WERE APPROVED FOR THE ADOLESCENT
SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAM………
I AM SO THRILLED…. THANK YOU SO
MUCH FOR YOUR WONDERFUL SKILLS… GOD BLESS YOU>>>>>>>”
“I have never met an individual who possesses so many outstanding skills. Joy is personal, punctual, reliable, trustworthy and is able to take ideas from conceptualization to implementation. Joy is responsible in helping me grow my business by 734% over the past 4 years.
If you are serious about growing your business but need that extra push, fresh perspectives, and out of the box ideas…Joy is just the person you need to connect with..”Michelle Tjelmeland
“Joy is one of the best presenters I’ve ever had the opportunity to work with.
We’ve run monthly expert webinars for a few years, and Joy’s was among our highest rated with more than 96% of our audience of 250+ saying they learned something valuable that could help them accomplish their goals.
No wonder: Joy backed up every valuable point with proof, examples and stories that brought everything to life. I can’t wait to work with her again.”Donald Cowper
“Joy spoke on my Star Power Half Hour webinar show and gave a lively, information-packed session!
One attendee wrote in the chat box, “Wow! Amazing info and so well presented. Thank you!”
Joy has really delved deeply into the subject of membership sites and has lots of experience from working with her clients, so she brought great resources into her talk. It was very valuable for everyone.“Ellen Finkelstein